Last night, Monday 2nd May, was clearly marked in my calendar as it was one of the biggest nights in fashion, The Met Gala. Last year Rihanna stole the show in a breathtaking robe/ gown that took two years to make and everyone else opted for naked illusion dresses, take a look here.
This years theme was influenced by the exhibition Manus x Machina: Fashion in an Age of Technology. The red carpet came to life with heavy metal, metallics, embellishment and even light up dresses.
I have selected 10 of my favourite looks from the red carpet and 5 of the most stunning hair and makeup looks. Sadly Rihanna didn’t make it this year so I had to look elsewhere for other celebrities to give me life, they had very big shoes to fill…
In no particular order here are my best dressed:
1) Jourdan Dunn wore a show-stopping Balmain creation. This look gave me EVERYTHING, I have no more words!!!!
2) Claire Danes lit up the whole room in a light up Zac Posen ballgown.
3) Karlie Kloss looked every bit the supermodel in Brandon Maxwell. This cut away gown started off with a jacket/ cover up and ended up a mini dress by the after party.
4) Will.I.Am looked super dapper and futuristic in custom Gucci.
5) Karolina Kurkova stunned everyone in a pale blue appliqué Marchesa gown. This wasn’t just any embellished dress, the butterflies and flowers were tweet and mood responsive. Every time someone tweeted mentioning the dress it changed colour depending on the tone of the message, this is the future!
6) Kate Hudson was influenced by the 3D printing technology wearing a beautiful Versace dress.
7) Poppy Delevingne sparkled in Marchesa
8) Blake Lively was the bell of the ball in a beautiful Burberry gown. I didn’t expect this from Burberry because it’s so whimsical and feminine.
9) Zendaya looked like a goddess in a Michael Kors gold one shoulder dress.
10) Zayn Malik totally committed to the theme and accessorised with metal sleeves on his Versace suit.
Hair and Makeup Winners
1) Zendaya, the hair, the smoky eye, the lip, I LOVE IT ALL
2) I am a huge fan of grey hair and Jourdan Dunn is my new reason why. I love that she went in with the bob and took a risk.
3) Olivia Wilde had the slickest ponytail with the best cuff hair clip, fierce!
4) Gigi Hadid looked effortless and beautiful with this softer makeup and slick back low ponytail
5) I adore this stripped back, natural makeup look on Kylie Jenner and I like the super chic, super cute short bob too. Good for you Kylie!
Who were your best dressed at the Met Gala this year? What beauty look are you going to try? Drop a comment below and let me know who your favourites were.
Dom Dominique xx
Images from a selection at Vogue.com and glamourmagazine.co.uk